47 Wards including my office are partnering with Operation Help-A-Hero. We will be collecting basic household items and toiletries throughout the month of June in an effort to help the hundreds of Chicagoland veterans who are homeless. All donations will be delivered to the United States Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA). The VA will distribute materials to qualifying veterans in need of assistance.
I will be accepting donations at my office throughout starting from May 30th until July 4th.
New, store bought items that will be collected include:
• Personal Hygiene Items including bath soap, shampoo, conditioner, razors, feminine pads, shaving cream, deodorant, combs hair brushes, nail clippers, toothpaste, and toothbrushes
• Kitchen & Cleaning Items including plastic kitchen trash cans, Windex, Pine Sol, dish washing liquid, dishcloths, sponges, mops, buckets, brooms, dustpans, and paper towels
• Bathroom & Miscellaneous Items including shower curtains, toilet paper (4 or 6 pack), plungers, toilet brushes, toilet bowl cleaner, bath towels (2), wash cloths, smoke detectors with batteries, flashlights with batteries, garbage bags, laundry baskets, hampers, and laundry detergent
For more information on this program, please contact the office at email@example.com
Alderman Santiago is proud to announce the first Community Carnival for the 31st Ward! The Carnival will be held next Thursday (April 27th) through Sunday (April 30th).
Last week my dear northwest side colleague Alderman Gilbert Villegas (36th Ward) was unanimously elected to serve a two-year term as the new Chair of the Latino Caucus. Alderman Villegas is an excellent choice to continue the great work done by Alderman Cardenas (12th Ward) the past two years. I look forward to working on issues of public safety, education and economic development with him.
My office is hosting a community meeting seeking public input on a request by Aldi who is seeking the approval of liquor licenses at three of their locations.
Aldi at 4030 W. Wrightwood Avenue
Aldi at 4627 W. Diversey Avenue
Aldi at 2828 N. Central Avenue
Tuesday, April 25th, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Kelvyn Park Field House
4438 W Wrightwood Ave
As a member of the Chicago Latino Caucus Foundation, I am excited to announce the deadline to apply for the foundations 2017 Scholarship has been extended to April 3rd.
The scholarship will consist of $5,000 per year and is renewable as long as the student maintains a 2.8 G.P.A. as an undergraduate student at an accredited institution of higher education. For the application documents and further details, please click here.
- U.S. Citizenship is not required for this scholarship
- Students must be at least one-half Hispanic/Latino. Hispanic/Latino is an ethnic category, not a racial category; students may be of any race
- Students must be at or below the Federal Poverty
- High school senior/GED certificate/Undergraduate student with a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0/4.0
- Current high school senior graduating in 2017 and/or GED completion certificate/undergraduate*, who are enrolled/planning to enroll at an accredited 2/4 year institution in/or outside of Illinois (*scholarship is not open for graduate level studies)
- Must be a full-time student or planning to enroll as a full-time student
- Submit official/unofficial transcripts
- Submit the Application Essay and signature page
- Must currently reside in Chicago